Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

Back At It ... Oh Bother!

Today is my first day back on campus after a month traversing the planet. Ok, not the whole planet but still a good-sized chunk. Did my fair share and then some of work (week 1 of field course, article review, conference, edited book launched), got in some sight-seeing and some visits with friends and family etc., Wine tour in Niagara was so much fun! (Pics coming!) - I can't wait to do it again! If you go you MUST check out The Organized Crime Winery http://www.organizedcrimewine.com/
The Pinot Gris (my varietal of choice) was heavenly, and the story behind the name is just too much :). Pity you can only buy the wine on site :(
So - hmm - first day back to work and I'm already thinking about yummy wine. Just may have to crack open the bottle of prosecco hidden in the back of the fridge tonight. I've managed over the last while to 'close the book' as it were on a number of projects, but I still have several looming. Problem is my motivation is still basking in the Italian sunshine. Or maybe drooling in the Coach Store in Niagara Falls NY (thanks Sara! - saving my pennies now for a purse - the one I love is of course something like $400 - damn this living 'high off the hog!). But seriously - how to kick start my motivation and focus? What to do first? All are 'big': 2 book chapters for a cultural geography textbook; review of a book for an international scholarly journal - which means I have to read the book (drat!); write and submit an article for publication; grade PhD comprehensive exam ... that's all I can think of now other than short term things (submit expense claims, course modification form (oh did that one!), chair an MSc defense).

I'm stymied on how to prioritize; other than the defence and the PhD comps nothing has firm deadlines - though the book chapters are way, way overdue. Hmmm. Perhaps that is where I should start? Motivation - I need you!! The first chapter is a revision of a colleague's chapter on feminist geography. So much work...so little time. I must figure out a plan for how to revise, add, make it my own and current with the literature. There goes my June - thank god the porch is comfy and I can work out there - so what do I sacrifice to the Gods of Inspiration to get this going?

To quote my Favourite Bear ... Oh bother!

No comments:

Post a Comment