Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hindsight

Have been back in Canada for a few days now. Allergies/cold has finally subsided - it's 2 days now with no meds...woohoo. Finally enough clarity of thought to actually do a bit of work (submit journal article review) while family is all at work/daycare.

Trying to assess whether field course running is really my thing. It's a lot harder / more nerve wracking than it sounds. Can my nerves take it again? Perhaps only if I top up what the university pays for airfare to go first class? That has got to make a difference! What was really interesting and special I think was really getting to know the students and have a laugh with them in a way you can't really in regular session. They get to see you as a real person more too, yet one who is intellectually curious and well - just plain curious.

I also think I need to better define how this relates to my own research and teaching. It does, but a bit on the tangential side -- though maybe not when I revise Food Geographies to be more about social-cultural landscapes and foodways. Hmmm.

And next time I'm bringing even less re: clothes and even more re: allergy/cold meds, both pills and lotions/ointments. I don't know what's in those Venetian mosquitoes but AAAHHH. Super-itch and red and nasty. Beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment