Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fall Beckons

The weather has turned cool, and I swear I heard a Canada goose yesterday. Fall is here. And even if the weather hadn't changed, the university where I work is populated again. You'd think I'd get used to it after all these years, but the sudden appearance of students and faculty always seems a shock after the quiet of the summer. Classes don't start until Thursday, but the Orientation groups are marching around, and students are scurrying around trying to find rooms. Three different groups of students asked me for directions today - one particularly anxious student walked right into my office (I'm near a stairwell) breathless and lost. Students don't read the signs to see that if they turn one way, all they will get to are offices, not classrooms. Apparently wayfinding is a lost art.

I'm feeling pretty good about the new term. Got a new iMac so I have a LOVELY new computer that is fast and just well - cool! Rearranged and cleaned the office too - much much better. Fresh start, fresh look. Teaching first and second year courses that I've taught lots before - tweaking and updating but should be an easy term when it comes to teaching. A couple of projects on the go, but nothing huge at the moment. Going to enjoy and get some writing done - a book review and an article I've been thinking about for awhile.


The healthy living program is going well. Making sure I do something every day - WiiFit or exercise bike - more walking - or like this weekend - gardening and moving books (lots) up to the new home office. Still looking for shelves, but soon... Have now lost about 17 lbs and working on making 20 lbs or better gone by the end of the month. Getting used to lots of fruit, veg and fish. Feeling SO MUCH more energized. The ticket is I have to do something when I get up, when I feel most motivated.

Good news on the book front - my book that came out in July - well according to amazon.ca, yesterday there was only 1 copy left with the promise of more on the way!! So that means they are selling!! woohoo!! Wow - I might actually get a royalty cheque! YES! This is the best sort of affirmation.


So - have to just keep on keeping on, keep working, keep moving. So - I'm off for a walk.
See ya around the neighbourhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment