Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Apparently my twin is a 5'6" English woman

This really happened today - again! There are two tenured women in my department (yeah...2!...we are sooo progressive!). I am one of them. I am above average height for a woman (6') and well --- not even close to petite. I wear glasses, and I'm REALLY Canadian. I wear multiple rings and regularly change the colour of my hair. My colleague, research partner and friend is the aforementioned Englishwomen of normal height, complete with plummy English public school accent. No glasses. Wears suits regularly. Me, not so much. And we are regularly called by each other's names. When we are apart, AND when we are both there together.

Happened today in a department council meeting - for the millionth time. We were on opposite sides of the conference table. No way you could not tell us apart, unless you are frikkin' Helen Keller. Or - apparently - a male academic.

Now I suppose I should be understanding - I mean really. Female. Associate Professor. Same discipline. Clearly interchangeable. Why should I expect more? (grrrrrrrr)

At the meeting we both laughed  - after an audible groan and knowing look at each other (the "Can you believe one of the boys did it AGAIN!" look). One of our more aware male colleagues picked up on our mood right away and kept the joke going with a lovely note of sarcasm in his voice ..."Yeah, they are twins - like Twins, the movie. Not that you look like them...but...".

 I decided to announce that for the remainder of the meeting I would speak in a bad Austrian accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment