Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Why a blog?

Why start a blog indeed? Maybe I just think the best conversations I have are with myself? No that can't be it - I talk to myself already anyway :). Seriously, my 20+ years in the university setting as a student and professor tell me - and I feel this is true in my bones - that women academics are still 'read' in the academy as 'out of place'. Female mentors are few and far between - and many of them are either bitter, depressed, or have given up / given in and just don't care anymore. I still care - and while some may see the academic life as a wasteland 'tundra' for women - I'm here to say I've got my parka and my boots good to -60C and I'm ready to go!

So this blog is, in a way, my way of entering into a kind of mentoring relationship - with myself, with anyone out there who wants to follow along - and it can be a multi-way discussion of what works, what doesn't and what we might change to make the academy / university a better place to work, learn, grow and contribute to an enriched life for ourselves and our sisters in the larger community.

Not sure what will be in further posts - though I think there will be a fair share of 'can you believe this?' and 'is this true for you to?' posts. Probably a few rants, and a few 'thought puzzles' too.

Looking forward to hearing from any followers about what makes you love life in the university setting, what makes you crazy, what you want to change etc.,

No comments:

Post a Comment