Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Just call me 'Gender Girl'!

I've been pondering this all day - why is it such a struggle to get gender / feminist research or courses or theory recognized in the academy? Once again I feel like the voice crying in the wilderness, shouting 'this is important!!' And it makes me snarky... it feels like I've been a ruddy Who in Whoville my whole career. Here is my course - take it! tell your students to take it! Here is my research - look it's published and cited a lot - value it! acknowledge it! I am here! I am here! Did I need millions in grants to do it? - no - oh so now you are not interested. Thanks for marginalizing me and my work...


And then just when I get used to being ignored ...  I'm the 'designated feminist' (aka Gender Girl! --- anyone want to design my super suit?) who is trotted out to be on every grad student committee, every equity working group, every time gender parity is an issue. It's like there is some scholarly diversity tick box they can check off - oooh feminist - CHECK; - marxist - nooo; critical theorist - CHECK. Oh another one focusing on gender, oh no thanks we already have one of those. Sigh.

So you are probably wondering - what does this picture have to do with this post? Well - one - I think it's just a cool image of a great outdoor art exhibit. They are tipis, lighted from inside. To me it speaks of the power of the marginalized, and tonight that really resonates with me.

3 comments:

  1. What really resontates with me is the "You don't need money? Oh, then you're not doing real research". I'm doing feminist philosophy, and no, I don't need research grants. But jobs (and yes, I'm on the job market again soon!) are all about the 'must show ability to attract grants'.
    -Kira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kira
    This makes me crazy too. My sense is that this reflects the privileging of research in science and technology. This research creates 'stuff' - products that can be copyrighted and sold.

    Is it a coincidence that these are the same fields long dominated by male researchers? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craziness continues. Somehow my course is now scheduled completely inappropriately. 9:30 in the frikkin' AM and the 50 min, 3 days a week block. Which is just right for lecture classes. Not right for 4th year seminar courses. Not at all. Sometimes it starts to feel like the powers that be WANT courses that are a bit different and challenging (in all ways) to fail. Sigh. Hoping for a timeslot change. Hoping.

    ReplyDelete